Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary

View of the top of the Clark Bridge spanning the Mississippi River at Alton.

The Clark Bridge was named after William Clark who, with Meriwether Lewis in 1804, commanded the two year 4,000 mile exploration of the Louisiana Purchase territory up the Missouri River into the Pacific Northwest. The Lewis and Clark Expedition set off just a few miles south of the bridge near Hartford, Illinois.

This is a view from Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary which runs just south of the Mississippi River.