Cast iron spiral stairs connecting the lighthouse sleeping quarters to light. McGulpin Point Light was constructed as a navigational aid through the Straits of Mackinac. The light began operation in 1869, making it one of the oldest surviving lighthouses in the Straits. Only in operation until 1906, the light is located on McGulpin Point, approximately 3 miles west of Fort Michilimackinac.