Blessing of the Hounds, Strathalbyn

Another beautiful fall sunset in the Midwest. This well and the stables beyond are part of an old club in St. Charles County.

The property is along the Missouri River and served as a family farm in this rural section of Weldon Spring before World War II and before the bridge across the Missouri River was completed. In 1960, the property was purchased primarily to protect the area from development.

The name Strathalbyn was given to the property by one of the prior owners of the land, reminiscent of their ancestral homes in Wales. The words are Welsh and mean “stream and field” appropriately named since its fields meander down to the Missouri River.

The basis of the clubhouse is an old log cabin from the 1820’s which still exists inside the building.