One historic structure in St. Louis’ Forest Park is the Nathan Frank Bandstand. The original bandstand on this site was built around the time Forest Park opened in 1876. Constructed of wood, it was renovated for the 1904 World’s Fair and was one of the Fair’s most photographed structures. Concerts held there were popular attractions and were continued for several years after the Fair. It closed in 1911 for repairs but was destroyed not long after by a storm and fire.
St. Louis lawyer, Nathan Frank, donated $50,000 to erect a new bandstand, making the first private gift to a St. Louis park. It was dedicated in 1925. Of classic Renaissance design, the new bandstand was designed by Heffensteller, Hirsch and Watson and made of white marble with bronze railings and ornaments.
The Bandstand makes a very scenic area in front of the park’s and makes a great opportunity for a photograph.